Staff Role – Senior Project Control Engineer
Salary dependant on Experience and Qualifications
Estimated between £40,000 to £46,000 per annum
Main Purpose of Position
Provide technical and commercial Project Controls support, working in accordance with company processes and procedures, to provide, update and report on integrated schedule, cost and resource information across a portfolio of projects from bid development through to project closeout.
Specific Areas of Responsibility
- Direct assistance and advice to Bid & Project Managers in the development of project programmes.
- Establish Work Breakdown Structures and Cost Breakdown Structures in relation to project scope.
- Work with Estimators to develop Bid programmes into integrated schedule, cost and resource loaded programmes ensuring a smooth transition from Business Development to the Project Management team.
- Advise on best practice using company templates and processes, to establish realistic and achievable programmes acceptable to all stakeholders.
- Hold weekly and monthly operations and programme update meetings to support projects, attend project stand-ups.
- Co-operation/ co-ordination with internal & external stakeholders to obtain accurate and realistic progress information and update the project programme including forecasts, understanding key interfaces and the impact of changes in terms of schedule, cost and resource.
- Process and provide programme updates and associated reports in line with internal Reporting Calendar and client requirements.
- Produce and issue standardised performance reports based on cost and schedule for internal & external stakeholders, including information such as Earned Value, SPI, CPI and EAC. Input to PSR reports, which are presented to board of directors on a monthly basis.
- Keep programmes well maintained and realistic, maintaining programme detail including coding and logic to a high standard.
- Identify key variances on the project programmes, undertake variance analysis, communicate to Integrated Delivery teams and present the data in the form of reports & graphs.
- Provide critical path analysis, resource forecasts and lookaheads based on programme information.
- Provide prompt, accurate information to the Project Manager and integrated delivery teams.
- Apply change to programmes and baselines in line with business and contract requirements, and demonstrate the impact on programme.
- Work in line with specific contracts for projects, submitting financial information and programmes / activity schedules in line with client timescales.
- Carry out general admin and housekeeping of project folders and Primavera P6.
- Actively participate in continuous improvement of the company, department, personnel and self.
- Ensure personal, professional, and technical competency through continuing professional development.
- Enhance the potential of others by coaching and mentoring as appropriate.
- Formulate and manage own personal training plan and development activity with the Project Controls Manager.
To carry out, as instructed, any task as deemed reasonable by your line manager, in the interest of the Company.
Reports to: Project Controls Manager
Compliance with company procedures and policies.
Work in accordance with company vision, mission and core values.
Display a professional, acceptable attitude and image for all work
Experience & Knowledge
- Substantial project controls experience (min. 5 years)
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience of using Primavera P6, and an understanding of planning fundamentals, including coding of activities, logic links, date constraints and lags
- Experience within a manufacturing / technical background
- Good knowledge and experience of working in line with NEC 3 Contracts. (NEC4 an advantage)
- Experience of resource loading programmes to activity level and maintaining budget, actuals and forecast; Understand budgets, analyse spend, EAC and any impact to project.
- Understanding of the importance of accurate resource forecasts, dates and durations in all programmes, with the ability to monitor, evaluate and challenge effectively.
- Understanding of the importance of baselines and the significance of keeping them up to date during the project lifecycle, including cost and resource
- Understanding and application of change control
- Proficient user of all Microsoft packages
- Experience of using MSP
Prince 2/ITIL or similar qualification
Microsoft Projects experience
Experience of integrating schedule, cost and resource information across a portfolio of projects
Skills & Abilities
- Critical thinking, confidence to challenge and interrogate information as provided by integrated delivery teams
- Strategic planning and schedule development
- Ability to analyse and challenge data, including performance statistics and resource forecast information
- Confidence to relay clear information to Project Managers and delivery teams
- Experience of and ability to update baselines with change accordingly
- Disciplined, responsible and knowledgeable enough to work unassisted
- Developing and maintaining effective relationships with both internal & external stakeholders
- Effective communication abilities
- Ability to stay fully focused and work efficiently and meticulously while under pressure in order to meet tight deadlines
- Able to organise and prioritise own workload effectively
If you have reached this far, firstly thank you for actually reading our job specification, now if you would be kind enough to consider applying, please send your CV in the first instance to email@example.com
Security Clearance will be essential for this role, you must be able to meet baseline security level